05 GSXR help - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Bikes & Hogs

Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
YBE2FAST
Outsider

YBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the rough
05 GSXR help
I just got a 05 GSXR 1000 in january. When im riding every now and then the bike will cut out RPMs drop then kick back to where they were causing the bike to buck then drop back to 0 and the bike dies. sometimes u can turn it back on right away other times u have to cycle the key but once it fires back up u get maybe 5 feet and it does it again.

Its not a problem i can get the bike to repeat it, just does it when it feels like it. I had this problem in the beginning of spring on the highway and ended up pullin over and 15 min or so later i fired it back up and it road fine till today. after we sat there for 30 min or so we road up the street to meet with my sister and just loaded it in the truck. It seemed to be fine once more.

I heard it could be the TPS or the kick stand switch but after the day on the highway i ziptied the kick stand switch up and it didnt stop this problem. Anyone have a idea on where i can start to figure this problem out?

bike may be under warrenty still (got it from cycle specialties) but if it isnt i really dont wanna pay someone to fix it and be out of a bike for the rest of the year.

Steven
05 GSXR 1000
YBE2FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Wolf13
1,000 posts club

Wolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura aboutWolf13 has a spectacular aura about
Even zip tying it might still be throwing weird voltage and your problem sounds exactly like the is switch.

Good luck!
Wolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Blue99fbody
zip em up!

Blue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to beholdBlue99fbody is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Blue99fbody
has bike ever been down or fallen over? i had almost the exact same problem out of my 04 r1 and it was the lean angle cutoff switch. do your gauges show any code when it happens my r1 would throw a number code up when it would happen. id have to let the bike sit for like 20 min and it would fire back up and be fine for a while

98 SS m6
99 Z28 nbm m6
09 Trailblazer SS
11 silverado ccsb 6.2
03 ZX-6R 636
01 ktm 300exc
32' baja twin 454s
www.dolce-vita-photography.com
Blue99fbody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
YBE2FAST
Outsider

YBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the roughYBE2FAST is a jewel in the rough
so it could be the switch itself and being in the up position still would cause it? anyway to test it?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
ForceFed
Fu(k (ivility

ForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the roughForceFed is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to ForceFed
Switch might be faulty and even in the "up" position could be toggling with jarring bumps. I'm sure this bike has a lean angle sensor as well, could be the same thing there.
ForceFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
YBE2FAST
Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue99fbody View Post
has bike ever been down or fallen over? i had almost the exact same problem out of my 04 r1 and it was the lean angle cutoff switch. do your gauges show any code when it happens my r1 would throw a number code up when it would happen. id have to let the bike sit for like 20 min and it would fire back up and be fine for a while
bike has been over, i have dropped it but befor i bought it someone obviously laid it down there is scrape marks on both sides of the bike but not major at all. It has thrown a F1 code once but it didnt ride any different. when it does this problem i posted about it dont throw anything besides saying check like the killswitch is off.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of light
Kick stand switch, easy fix.
The Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Walter
4cyl & fart can

Walter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of lightWalter is a glorious beacon of light
You can restart immediately after the kick stand switch is actuated. Prolly not the kickstand switch.
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
Biturbowagon
Nazi Sled

Biturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to beholdBiturbowagon is a splendid one to behold
I had some electrical gremlins on the Daytona, kinda similar. Sometimes the display would go out or the bike would just shut off. Thought it was battery, ended up being a bad stator. But this sounds like a sensor problem. I would think kickstand one as well, but the lean sensor makes sense.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Mannon
No car.

Mannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the roughMannon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Mannon
If you believe it to be a kickstand switch, find the connector and unplug it. Use a paper clip(or other conductive material that won't damage the termnals) and insert into the connector, this just bypasses the switch and completes the circuit. Your bike will now run with the kicker down so be very careful and don't forget or you crash on your first lefter!! Just an easy way to eliminate the switch as a problem.
Mannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
YBE2FAST
Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannon View Post
If you believe it to be a kickstand switch, find the connector and unplug it. Use a paper clip(or other conductive material that won't damage the termnals) and insert into the connector, this just bypasses the switch and completes the circuit. Your bike will now run with the kicker down so be very careful and don't forget or you crash on your first lefter!! Just an easy way to eliminate the switch as a problem.
I can do that but wouldn't ziptieing the switch up be the same thing? I can start the bike now with the kick stand down (in gear) the way i have it. Either way thanks this more along the lines of what im lookin for. Ways to test these sensors to see what one is my problem.

Steven
Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
coolnick
is a ricer

coolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud ofcoolnick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBE2FAST View Post
I can do that but wouldn't ziptieing the switch up be the same thing? I can start the bike now with the kick stand down (in gear) the way i have it. Either way thanks this more along the lines of what im lookin for. Ways to test these sensors to see what one is my problem.

Steven
They are saying the switch may be bad, ie the internal contacts or whatever are not fond of your ham fisted clumsiness. You can put a jumper in the harness with a paperclip and if it doesn't happen again you can guess that the switch was the culprit and replace with a new switch. If it still happens with the jumper installed then you know the kickstand switch is not the problem and you can look into other things. Like finding a friend that knows how to operate a multi-meter lol.