1940 Chevy Special Deluxe interior build - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Interior & Exterior Mods

Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
marakka
CSS regular

marakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura about
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe interior build
Customer car that I am doing a full interior and trunk build for. Nothing off the wall fancy, just a budget build. Estimate is for 80 hours of build time plus materials. This entails a new headliner and wind lacing, designing and manufacturing new rear trim panels, door panels and kick panels. Sewing up a custom carpet. Manufacturing and designing a rear seat cushion just for looks. Recovering and designing the front seat. Installing a power window kit and manufacturing a panel to hold the switches. Designing and manufacturing a completely custom trunk including rear partion panel and parcel shelf. Also I'll be tidying up his engine bay wiring and dash wiring while I'm at it. Estimate looks to be on the low side so far as I'm 14.5 hours in and this is what I've got:

305 swapped in from a 89 Camaro I believe. Approximately 30k on this thing.

Small compartment to hide the fire extinguisher. Speakers will be mounted on this panel as well. A trim panel will gove over this entire thing to finish it properly.

Squared trunk panel templates roughed in. Need additional squaring and spacing. Trying to guage the size and location of the chevy emblem that will be raised from the panel. Floor will be done in carpet and sides will be leatherette vinyl. Warm white LEDs will be installed to bring some light into the trunk as well.

Back side of the partion panel where the battery and oddball storage will be.

Things not seen are the almost finished drivers side power window installation. Also the door panels, rear trim panels and kick panels are complete minus cutting holes for mounting and holes for handles. I'll grab some more pictures as I move along. Thought maybe someone would find this entertaining. And of course the shameless plug for pulling in more business isn't bad either.....

Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
Wanna recover my back seat and maybe do my trunk on the lincoln
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
marakka
CSS regular

marakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura aboutmarakka has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati View Post
Wanna recover my back seat and maybe do my trunk on the lincoln
I can. Drop me a pm if you would like to get together to do up a price. I'm not working this Chevy 40 hours a week so I can keep business flowing.
marakka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Nati
Baller

Nati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to allNati is a name known to all
I will do that. All I need is the back seat wrapped in black leather. Hell I already have it out of the car the trunk I will more than likely do myself I just cant sew lol
Nati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Qwk
1,000 posts club

Qwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the rough
Whats this going to cost the customer?
Qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
marakka
CSS regular

Retail on materials is around $1k. Normal labor rate is $50/hr plus materials. This will end up being around 100 to 120 hours maybe more. This one should fly along once I get the trunk done. Headliner might be a bit of a pain, but nothing terrible.

Custom jobs can't be quoted because its impossible to tell how much time will go into doing what the customer wants. The guy I work with did an interior for the guy who owns Dynamat. After it was all said and done, the complete interior cost just a hair short of $30k. Tons of roll and pleat, custom console etc.... that shit takes time. Car appraised and insured at $400k afterward.

Normal repairs and recovers are fairly easy and relatively affordable. Depending on the complexity of the seat and the material you chose, you are looking at $200 to $500 and most of that hinges on material. TRUE leather is $.55 per square inch for a repair panel. If you want to do a whole seat, you need to buy a hide and they run about $400 retail for a good one that hasn't been split. I've got stuff I can show you that makes leather look like a joke and is cheaper by over 50%. The main stuff I try to sell runs $40 a yard (54" width by 36" run) and is available in most any color. On a back seat you are looking at roughly 4 yards. I give you any excess that is left since you purchased it. Rambling..... anyway... hit me up if you are interested.

By the way... the Nascar shit in the background is of no affiliation to me.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #7
The Punisher
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of lightThe Punisher is a glorious beacon of light
Scott Whitaker owns dynamic control. His son Ben is a good friend of mine. He has some pretty awesome cars!
The Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Qwk
1,000 posts club

Qwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the roughQwk is a jewel in the rough
Cool. Do you have any more pictures of other Street Rods you have done interiors for? I will be needing a 38 Chevrolet interior done up soon.
Qwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
marakka
CSS regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalDreams View Post
Scott Whitaker owns dynamic control. His son Ben is a good friend of mine. He has some pretty awesome cars!
You undoubtedly know the '32 ford that I'm talking about then. Yes.... he's got some stupid cool cars. And a silly hair cut to go along with it. :D

As far as pictures.... no. This will be my first Street / Hot rod that I have done. My back ground is car audio and mechanics. I just got into this and have a knack for it. I did some repairs and what not and then got recruited to do this job. Needless to say its fun. I'll drop you a PM with my information and I can explain the details better as I can completely understand being apprehensive about using a noob to save money over working with a seasoned pro.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
CivicB18B
All American

CivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura aboutCivicB18B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to CivicB18B
Which '32 of Scott's did the guy you work with do? His most popular DynaLiner (3 window) and DynaSport (Roadster) have minimal interior. What's his name, just wondering if I know him. I'm doing the upholstery on my '32 sedan right now all in the original style mohair from LeBaron-Bonney.

It's cool to see other people on here who actually know how to do this stuff as well.

Make it three yards, motherfucker, and we'll have us an automobile race.
CivicB18B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
marakka
CSS regular

The one with all the red roll and pleat and the odd colored half moons on the doors & headliner. Unfortunately, the cost on that one was driven up by Scott changing his mind again and again. From what I understand, Scott actually started the whole Dynamat/Dynamic Control deal from the back room a few feet from where I took these pictures. I'm going completely on hear-say on that.... but its what I've been told.

I"m suprised as many people know about these things as they do. Now that I've been getting into it, a lot of people have came out of the woodwork. Its damn cool to see younger people into this stuff.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
marakka
CSS regular

Some new pics....

Door panels and interior panels done in rave & oddball GM material. Trunk floor in plain charcoal trunk liner. Panels roughed in. Some framework done behind them. Lights installed behind the panels and wires ran for lights in trunk lid. Slow going this past week but finally done with classes and can focus on this stuff full time.

Yes I know the 6x9 is crooked. Ran out of the right length screws so its just hanging there on long ones that aren't run in all the way.

Last edited by marakka; 08-28-2011 at 11:30 PM..