Cincy Street Scene

Cincy Street Scene (https://www.cincystreetscene.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.cincystreetscene.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Battery Relocation (https://www.cincystreetscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51998)

4DooR_SuprA 03-30-2009 01:22 PM

Battery Relocation

Hey guys I know this seems minial but I want to move my battery to the trunk.

What sort of line or cable am I going to need? Any fittings or whatever? If anyone has done this let me know what you need or how you did it.

thanks in advance.

WhiteT 03-30-2009 01:41 PM

I ran 1/0 I got from a welding supply company from the starter to a kill switch. then another 1/0 from the kill switch to the battery. I used crimp on ends from KOI. For the alternator, I ran a 6 gauge wire form the output to the battery directly. Every car is going to be different here. My alternator uses an excite wire to keep it charging. That excite wire is going to a 12 volt ignition source. All the power from the car comes off the starter (this is the factory setup. I kept it this way to keep it simple.) The fuel pump gets it's power right after the kill switch.

My setup works great. I have almost no voltage drop from the battery to the starter and no voltage drop from the alt. to the battery. The car shuts off everytime if the kill switch is activated.

Here is a pic of the trunk. The kill switch has a arm that goes to the outside of the car to keep it NHRA legal. The arm can be removed for normal street driving.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...1/100_1472.jpg

I like the welding cable. It is very flexible and has worked very well for me.

Kevin Doe 03-30-2009 01:41 PM

I'd use a 1/0 cable. Ground it to the chassis there. Use an already existing bolt hole (not some bullshti screw). Make sure the ground is very secure. Run that line to wherever your original battery cable was, and hook them together. There are cleaner ways, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone asking how to do it.

4DooR_SuprA 03-30-2009 09:07 PM

Thanks guys. I will see if I can find some of that cable your refering to.

ahmed 03-30-2009 09:32 PM

they sell kits.. try summit racing.

WhiteT 03-30-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmed (Post 736294)
they sell kits.. try summit racing.

Those kits suck imo. I looked into them and the biggest gauge wire was 2 and 4.

I got about $200 in mine and I really misestimated (word? lol) the length of wire I needed. Ended up with about 6' of 1/0 left. I ended running ground wires everywhere with the left overs...my car was always plagued with grounding issues...not no more:)

Walter 03-31-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteT (Post 736298)
Those kits suck imo. I looked into them and the biggest gauge wire was 2 and 4.

I got about $200 in mine and I really misestimated (word? lol) the length of wire I needed. Ended up with about 6' of 1/0 left. I ended running ground wires everywhere with the left overs...my car was always plagued with grounding issues...not no more:)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

jfisher 11-02-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteT (Post 736069)
I ran 1/0 I got from a welding supply company from the starter to a kill switch. then another 1/0 from the kill switch to the battery. I used crimp on ends from KOI. For the alternator, I ran a 6 gauge wire form the output to the battery directly. Every car is going to be different here. My alternator uses an excite wire to keep it charging. That excite wire is going to a 12 volt ignition source. All the power from the car comes off the starter (this is the factory setup. I kept it this way to keep it simple.) The fuel pump gets it's power right after the kill switch.

My setup works great. I have almost no voltage drop from the battery to the starter and no voltage drop from the alt. to the battery. The car shuts off everytime if the kill switch is activated.

Here is a pic of the trunk. The kill switch has a arm that goes to the outside of the car to keep it NHRA legal. The arm can be removed for normal street driving.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...1/100_1472.jpg

I like the welding cable. It is very flexible and has worked very well for me.

What welding supply company did you use? I'm looking for the same thing, I would like to find about 25' of Red and about 4' of black, 1/0.

Edit: I called weldco and they will sell 30' of black for $74. They can order red but you have to order it by the spool, which I think he said was 250' lol.

ej1bmx 11-02-2010 02:18 PM

Is it 'safe' to use a regular battery in an interior compartment?

coolnick 11-02-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ej1bmx (Post 949661)
Is it 'safe' to use a regular battery in an interior compartment?

The short answer is no. When the voltage regulator failed on my DSM alternator it starting charging at 17.9 volts or some shit like that and boiled my Optima in about 3 minutes. Spewed battery acid all over the engine bay. Had that happened in my hatch/trunk I would be a dead mothafucka now lol.

Zac, I have some 2 ga and a 300a fuse at the house if you want to give that a shot. That is how I was going to do it in the Evo. Sure 1/0 is better, but the difference is hardly measurable vs the increased cost. If you are hell bent on using 1/0 check www.knukonceptz.com for great prices on badass cables.

jfisher 11-02-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolnick (Post 949671)
The short answer is no. When the voltage regulator failed on my DSM alternator it starting charging at 17.9 volts or some shit like that and boiled my Optima in about 3 minutes. Spewed battery acid all over the engine bay. Had that happened in my hatch/trunk I would be a dead mothafucka now lol.

Zac, I have some 2 ga and a 300a fuse at the house if you want to give that a shot. That is how I was going to do it in the Evo. Sure 1/0 is better, but the difference is hardly measurable vs the increased cost. If you are hell bent on using 1/0 check www.knukonceptz.com for great prices on badass cables.

Using that website, which type of cable would you recomend using for a battery relocation?

I'm going to assume it's under the power wire section, but then there are 3 different types at that point.

coolnick 11-02-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfisher (Post 949675)
Using that website, which type of cable would you recomend using for a battery relocation?

I'm going to assume it's under the power wire section, but then there are 3 different types at that point.

I dunno, looks like their normal 1/0 cable is completely outfuckingrageously priced now. That KCA cable in their power wire section looks cheap, but then again it's not 100% copper. It might be worth giving them a call, or just buying my shit lol.

jfisher 11-02-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolnick (Post 949677)
I dunno, looks like their normal 1/0 cable is completely outfuckingrageously priced now. That KCA cable in their power wire section looks cheap, but then again it's not 100% copper. It might be worth giving them a call, or just buying my shit lol.

I just called him, he said the 1/0 KCA should be fine if the car has less than a 250 amp draw.

That's better pricing and the color I wanted, thanks for the link.

coolnick 11-02-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfisher (Post 949679)
I just called him, he said the 1/0 KCA should be fine if the car has less than a 250 amp draw.

That's better pricing and the color I wanted, thanks for the link.

My 2ga is all copper and red. And I have a 300a fuse. And a lug to use for a ground with some 4ga black to use there.

Ampypants 11-02-2010 03:09 PM

Just so everyone knows, I have bulk wire here at spade anything from a 1/0 gauge and up. I can sell it by the foot, or as a kit.

coolnick 11-02-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampypants (Post 949684)
Just so everyone knows, I have bulk wire here at spade anything from a 1/0 gauge and up. I can sell it by the foot, or as a kit.

You forgot the part about it being eleventy billion dollars lol.

Ampypants 11-02-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolnick (Post 949690)

Yeah you are right, $2 bucks a foot.....

wwwoooo wweeee :out:

jfisher 11-02-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolnick (Post 949690)

lol.

Out of curiosity Jeff, how much per foot of the 1/0?

Edit: FACK... Just ordered from knuconcepts and had to pay shipping and tax....

I called Audio Sensations and they wanted $8.95 per ft....

Ampypants 11-02-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfisher (Post 949693)
lol.

Out of curiosity Jeff, how much per foot of the 1/0?

Edit: FACK... Just ordered from knuconcepts and had to pay shipping and tax....

I called Audio Sensations and they wanted $8.95 per ft....

How much do ya need buddy? I may have some leftover stuff you could just have if ya dont need a ton of it.

4ga is $2 a foot, or I can get the high end 1/0 gauge for $7 a foot

jfisher 11-02-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampypants (Post 949696)
How much do ya need buddy? I may have some leftover stuff you could just have if ya dont need a ton of it.

4ga is $2 a foot, or I can get the high end 1/0 gauge for $7 a foot

Ahhh, yea, I wanted 1/0 and it was $1.95 a foot from knu.

I needed 25' of 1/0 in red and 5' of 1/0 in black. Same as the OP, I'm relocating the battery.