ISSUE! parts found in oil pan. 91 318is [Archive] - Cincy Street Scene

: ISSUE! parts found in oil pan. 91 318is

Turbo_Mits
10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I read up on the M42 motor, and found the upper oil pan bolts accessible from the lower oil pan opening fall out and the oil pump will circulate air.

So, I pick up 6 qts of 15w40, a new filter and seal set, black RTV, and grab tools...

When I pulled the pan down, I found a couple 1 cubic inch pieces of a timing chain guide (thin metal, with a plastic coating on one side with straight scratches on the plastic from a timing chain running along it.

Has anyone dealt with this? how much of whore is taking the front case off going to be? and ANY other info or help would be great.

Engine runs perfect, odd sound, fluid consumption, and issue free... (aside form this) and has 260,000 miles. I ONLY know about theses pieces, because I took the pan down to replace the gasket, and inspect the upper pan bolts *which were nice and tight with no issues.

I took the Valve cover off, all the timing components that are visible with a flash light seem to be in perfect working order, aside from the smallest amount of play in the upper guide.

dsmawd350
10-11-2010, 07:33 PM
lol@ your sig...and you not mentioning the 3 series is a 91 318i with 260k miles and peices of shit in the oil pan