Need some Help / Advice on a Skyline [Archive] - Cincy Street Scene

: Need some Help / Advice on a Skyline

raheds
01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey all. I been to a couple events this past year with my Toyota Supra but added a WHOLE bunch more work towards the middle end of summer and have been basically working and sleeping. I am hoping to get out this summer alot more and see everyone. Anyway, I am in the market (always) for a Skyline. I belong to a site that emails you if a skyline hits any of the predesigned sites for selling cars. Today, I got an email posting from a Skyline that hit Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-GT-R-Skyline-US-DOT-Legal-1994-R32-Nissan-Skyline-GTR-500awhp-NO-R35_W0QQitemZ320476379838QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item4a9de17abe

Now, I am usually suspicious over things on Ebay so I checked out the Vin# with DoT and EPA and everything checks out. Also with CARB, but since I won't be in Calif it won't matter. 2 Red flags that I found were that the Motor was rebuilt. I talked to the Rebuilder (RB Motoring) and it was a Performance rebuild rather than a Mechanical Rebuild. Also, in one of the Pic's I see that the Title of the Car is "Nissan Sedan" rather than Skyline.

The company Focus Auto Sales is basically selling it on consignment for the Son of the Dealership. I am really interested in this and will make a decision in the next day or two. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks, Derrick

TheDatsunKid
01-24-2010, 09:21 PM
You may want to check into this...

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/newsletters/news027.html

if it was imported through Motorex, there's a national database and they're confiscating them left and right.

Mike
01-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I think the R32's are ok. The R34's are the ones that are not legal, I think?

That thing looks pimp. You'd be balling out of control to have that and your Supra. Another local Supra owner has an R32 as well, weird.

TheDatsunKid
01-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Only the 1996-1998 R33 Skylines are FEDERALLY legal, they "can" be registered in various states to to varying registration laws however all it takes is a phone call for someone to "tip off" the authorities. Also getting insurance for it will be your biggest problem. You have to sign a waiver that it has been brought up to NHSTA standards, if you wreck it and it's found NOT to be compliant you're SOL and your insurance company can legally deny all responsibility.

The biggest issue from what I've read over on NICO is that they were never OBDII compliant cars and OBDII compliance was federally mandated in 1996 and after the Motorex fiasco all DMV/BMV agencies across the nation were sent notice to verify the OBDII complicity.

If you do buy it you may be looking in the neighborhood of an additional 2-3k to bring it up to OBDII compliance.

The R32 and R34 Skylines can no longer be imported as of whenever the trial against Motorex ended. I don't know why the 1996-1998 R33's were excluded from the ban, but for whatever reason they are.

Here's the info I was referring to...

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/skyline-import-1.shtml

dsmawd350
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
the auction was ended did you buy it?

Bimmer
01-24-2010, 10:37 PM
You'd be balling out of control to have that and your Supra.

:iagree:

raheds
01-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Everyone. I did pass on the Car. I know a little one Skylines personally. I have read various sites and forums about them. I read the same about R33 from the dates listed previously posted. From my Understanding thats because the Info that Motorex submitted was accurate to the federal government. Thats why It is still legal to "import" that R33. You still need to get someone to do the EPA and DoT changes . I heard that can run 20k, and It has to be done by a "Authorized" DoT dealer.

I called maybe the closest 40-50 and they no longer do it or wont, so out of luck I suppose. I guess I can bring one in as a Show/track car. Still would be nice to Own a R34. Once the car gets 25yrs old the Federal ban will lift so at LEAST in they year 2023ish we can get legal R34's. I love my supra but still looking for a more modified road summer car. I want to leave my supra stock and just bought a FJ cruiser so the summer car might have to wait till next year.

Last thing I want to do is drop 40k+ on a ride the government is going to take away and crush. lol. Thanks again though for the replys.

dsmawd350
01-25-2010, 12:48 AM
skylines are overrated riceboy fantasy cars anyway :lol:

Roca Fella Bryan
01-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Damn.

LOL in the year 2023 you're driving a fucking 99 R34. That shit is stupid. Fuck the NHSTA worrying about cars that are like 20 times safer and more emissions compliant than most shitboxes you see everyday.

raheds
01-25-2010, 07:09 AM
I agree.... I hope in 2023 there are more impressive cars out there, but I will probably add one to the collection at that point just to have it. Some of my friends in England have one. They paid only 2k pounds... lol. I guess outside the US these cars are Cheap cheap cheap. Any new advice on a summer ride would get grateful to. Something I can modify but has to seat 4 as I have 2 kids. I really don't have much money to play with right now, probably like 7-8k. I as thinking of a used IS300, or GS300, maybe an older Evo. Just dunno. I probably talk to everyone at Fox and Hound next time and get some insight.

Thanks!

TheDatsunKid
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
If I had the funds...

1971 Datsun Skyline GT-R (the original GT-R)

do an rb26 single turbo swap...

pay someone to steam clean the jizz from your seats :)

just sayin...

Potentially could come in cheaper in the long run than buying an R33 in the first place at the present time. Sorry if I burst your bubble I just didn't want you to drop a large chunk of change on a non-refundable deposit only to find out that you couldn't actually do anything with the car.

apocalypse
01-26-2010, 02:47 AM
The R32 and R34 Skylines can no longer be imported as of whenever the trial against Motorex ended. I don't know why the 1996-1998 R33's were excluded from the ban, but for whatever reason they are.

R33's were the only ones Motorex used for crash and emissions testing. They never properly figured out how to modify R32's and R34's, and on most of the cars, just didn't do it at all.

Roca Fella Bryan
01-26-2010, 06:16 AM
R33's were the only ones Motorex used for crash and emissions testing. They never properly figured out how to modify R32's and R34's, and on most of the cars, just didn't do it at all.

Can't we just get a baller to fund some crash testing of an R34?

apocalypse
01-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Can't we just get a baller to fund some crash testing of an R34?

JK Industries is the only registered importing company that has the information to properly modify the cars for highway use. Therefore they're the only company that is legally allowed to do so. So when someone tells you his brother's girlfriend's uncle's life partner is a lawyer in Florida who specializes in importing cars and can get you one in, that's a load of doo doo. JK Industries is the ONLY company that can do it legally. And the simple fact is, they don't want to do it, and the US government doesn't want them to do it either. It's too much headache for everyone, and just isn't worth everything involved.

240Jeff
01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll take an S15, rather than a Skyline.

Greenmonster138
01-26-2010, 02:12 PM
ragheads, id save up more dough and just buy a c6 z06. You can run high 10s stock in that and make close to as much power as the skyline has now, and go to jegs and buy parts that will be here in 1 day that put it way past 500whp. Then when you sell it, you just sell it to some old timer for what you are asking. 30 grand is high for a 1994 car regardless of how neat it is if you ask me. Do you have the cash to buy that outright? I dunno how a bank would feel about loaning money out on some car from 1994 with a bizarro vin number. Just my 2 cents. Skylines are sweet and all, id just be leery of some mondo old car with 500 hp. For all you know that shits already got a spun bearing and motor honey in it. Id just personally feel better buying something less unicorn factor with less age and shit to go wrong. Being that old, what are you going to do when the rack and pinion seals go out, the bushings in the suspension go out, all kinds of stuff like that thats a pain in the ass to get for a car not offered in the us. Im just saying, at 29k (if thats what he wanted and you were willing to pay), you could really get yourself into a car thats quite a bit newer, with just as much power, that would be a lot less headaches.

raheds
01-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Thats true green but sometimes you just have certain car that appeal to you. There are literally hundreds of cars you can get to 500hp, but you might not like all but 3 you know? When I got my supra the banks told me that I couldn't get a loan for anything older than 5-6 years. So, I had to save enough up in Cash to get it outright. Owning Godzilla doesn't mean much to a lot of people and I understand that. I have never been a Chevy guy, or Honda guy, or Ford. Its always been Supra's and Nissan's really. Don't know why, just gravitate more to them I guess.

To be honest with talking with some members and talking to DoT I think I am comfortable enough to let the Skyline go for a while until either something changes or ban's being lifted. The financial part of me thinks its crazy to pay 30-50k for a car that in England/Aus/Canada sells for 3-4k. I am going to focus on a good summer car that I can build and transform into a good street racer. Don't know if I want to go Sleeper or pick a legit and do a pre-mock build but we will see. Everyone helps out so much cause being fairly new to everything every little bit help in background and information so I am grateful for all the advice and help.

Thanks,

Mike
01-26-2010, 03:56 PM
If you want to build something, or have someone build something, look into buying an S14. Full Race had that thing where you drop them off an s14 and they do the full drivetrain (awd and rb26) swap. Full Skyline in sheeps clothing.

I'm kind of a lazy ricer, and always thought that was a cool idea. Since you seem to be kind of a baller, find a 97-98 and do that. That would be really cool I think.

It took forever to find this, but here ya go.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400329

raheds
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
wow. thats simply awesome. Thanks for the link out. That seems like a perfect mesh. If they are still doing it, this will be something exactly what I am looking for.

PiranhaMatt
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
If you want to build something, or have someone build something, look into buying an S14. Full Race had that thing where you drop them off an s14 and they do the full drivetrain (awd and rb26) swap. Full Skyline in sheeps clothing.

I'm kind of a lazy ricer, and always thought that was a cool idea. Since you seem to be kind of a baller, find a 97-98 and do that. That would be really cool I think.

It took forever to find this, but here ya go.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400329

Should have asked me for that link Mike, it's in my favorites.

raheds
01-28-2010, 08:20 AM
I need to contact full race and see what they say.

raheds
01-28-2010, 03:39 PM
From Geoff @ Full Race.

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:38 AM
To: Eric FrantzLarson
Subject: Re: FW: S14 Kit

Hello Derrick --

Thanks very much for the email. I am the head engineer at Full-Race and the R14 is my personal project. Truth be told the R&D is completed and all designing is finished of the DIY-R14 kit that we are getting ready to sell to the public later this year. I am actually working on the R14 right now getting it ready for the modified magazine tuner shootout which will be its official Race debut. After this event (April 9/10) the conversion kit will be up for sale. We will have a thorough website update with FAQ and instructions as well as detailed pics. Keep in mind this conversion is not for the faint of heart, but is is absoultely do-able with the advent of our DIY kit. It will require welding, but very little cutting.

I have to warn you that if you are looking to just have fun in a car and not build a race car, purchasing a used skyline GTR is MUCH easier and will probably be less expensive in the long run.

I hope this helps a little, feel free to email me back with any questions

-geoff

toyocam9805
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I say do the R14 much cooler than the skyline.

raheds
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
ya. he Casually mentions ... oh, just pick up a used skyline. Like wth? It ain't all that easy if you ask me. I agree though. the R14 would look supper bad azz.

rogue24
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Keep your eyes open for a 96-98 R33, make sure its federally legal and HAS THE PAPERWORK on hand. I've seen a few for sale GTRs for 45-55K and GTSs for 15-30k. You can PM me if you have any questions.
Anthony

whitedime
03-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Just buy my Evo.

rogue24
03-18-2010, 10:05 PM
This one looks legit, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-GT-R-Skyline-R33_W0QQitemZ220573870812QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Car s_Trucks?hash=item335b3a2adc
If I had the cash I would jump on it.

raheds
03-20-2010, 12:40 PM
It looks good. I was/am constantly in the market. Earlier last month I was going to settle for an IS300 Clean Carfax 50k miles in Iowa but the morning I was going to leave he called me and said another salesman sold it before my salesman came in. W/E that means. So I am back on my Skyline search but to be honest my pickyness will be my curse. It has to be just right. I know it might sound retarded, but took me close to 2 years to find my supra the way I wanted it. I am prepared to wait. I have sent the seller of this skyline 3-4 questions though and we see how it comes back. Thanks again for the heads up.

supra4life28
03-20-2010, 03:49 PM
It looks good. I was/am constantly in the market. Earlier last month I was going to settle for an IS300 Clean Carfax 50k miles in Iowa but the morning I was going to leave he called me and said another salesman sold it before my salesman came in. W/E that means. So I am back on my Skyline search but to be honest my pickyness will be my curse. It has to be just right. I know it might sound retarded, but took me close to 2 years to find my supra the way I wanted it. I am prepared to wait. I have sent the seller of this skyline 3-4 questions though and we see how it comes back. Thanks again for the heads up.

I do not know your supra but is their anything special about it? Not trying to be a jerk but it appears to a stock tt, why 2 years?

raheds
03-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Well, 1. Had to be clean carfax. No accidents whatsoever. 2. Original TT not NA/ converted, original 6sp, and Milage had to be in the 50k range. Original miles. I ran into a lot of supras with rebuilt claiming "30k" when its 130k etc. BPU was totally acceptable, but nothing much more than that. Clean interior. No rust. Original paint with as few nicks, dents, etc.

Basically that was it. If a car didn't have that exact list I kept on looking. Plus I needed it around 30-35k Dollars. I searched:
Dupontregistry
supraforums
vipimports
autotrader
ebay

and some other supra sites trying to locate it. Vip Imports had a Beautiful white, black interior 6 speed wingless 1994 with only 32k miles on it! Some lady bought it drove it for couple years then got a new job and parked it in her condo garage until Daniel at Vip Imports got it. He was selling it for 29k and it was a steal. Perfect condition. the day i called on it he had someone wire transfer a deposit to hold it. Arg. so mad. I must have ran into 8-10 cars like that.

After I found a suitable car, had everything check out on my short list then I would have a PPI done by toyota with a compressions test. 2-3 supras failed horribly on the compressions test so those were taken off the list. I Suppose there were so many factors than I just kept looking cause so many didn't fit the description I had layed out.

Most that I found were 38-50k were immaculate but out my range. 17k-30k were the beaters and junkers and 140k mile supras. Now, again. This was what I was looking out from like 2007-2009 ish. I finally found a guy in Houston Texas that had his supra up for sale, Everything checked out. PPI was great and then it got serious enough for me to fly out to houston to check it out. I saw it, drove it... and purchased it right there. I had a company called Intercity Lines (they do the Barrett Jackson auctions) transport it from Houston to Cincinnati in a closed Tractor Trailer.

Its not really a special Supra to be honest, just it was the first one that fit the price range I had and all the other characteristics. I mean I took one out of the running cause it had 2 larger dents in the hood. So I probably was too picky, but I am really excited about the Supra that I ended up with so I can't complain!

Thanks! Derrick

Brennan
03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
it's missing a mudflap, it's junk.

:) just kidding

Joey
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
That original Skyline was a guy on the Skyline forum I go too.. He got a nasty letter in the mail saying " Export it or pay fines ", trades it into the dealership for a brand new Evo 10 and then just screws the dealership...

Dealership cant do anything about it because they thought they were screwing him and in the end they screwed each other but he came off with a better deal.