hard start 350z [Archive] - Cincy Street Scene

: hard start 350z

Sean
07-13-2009, 09:33 PM
So I've been driving the evo for a week and the Z has been sitting. So I get in the Z today to drive it home, this would be the first time I've started it in a week. Upon start up I hear a loud knocking noise, lots of blue smoke, and one hell of a miss. It ran for about 3 seconds then I shut it off. Seriously thought maybe I was tripping out so I tried again. Same result.
Ten minutes later I decide okay if it's knocking or something I'm gonna let it run and figure out where it's coming from... Start it up... Running perfect, no knock, no smoke, no miss. Car had the oil changed 50 miles ago with good shit. And it does have oil in it. Is this a common issue on vq's? I've heard of a hard start before but god damn this has me scared to even drive it.

redmike
07-13-2009, 10:10 PM
That sucks man.

altima3.5se
07-13-2009, 10:12 PM
my vq did that once but it smelled like straight fuel and it was dumb cold out. blue smoked a bit and died. had to crank on it for about 10 secs and when it started it was like a gray smoke for a min then went away. but i only ever had that happen once

Roca Fella Bryan
07-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Best remedy is to just start it every few days when you're not driving it lol. The VQ hard-start is a scary thing.

redmike
07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
I have left mine sit for about a week all the time. The most being about 3 weeks. Only problem I had was the battery does once when it was realy cold out.

altima3.5se
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I have left mine sit for about a week all the time. The most being about 3 weeks. Only problem I had was the battery does once when it was realy cold out. mike are you drinking and posting again your last sentence made no sense:lol:

redmike
07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
mike are you drinking and posting again your last sentence made no sense:lol:

So i said does instead of died. Can't spell my 4 letter words :nonod:

Rogue Vette
07-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Sell it. It's a sign of things to come. Cars don't knock and blow blue for no reason. I wish you the best but.....

Sean
07-13-2009, 11:25 PM
Sell it. It's a sign of things to come. Cars don't knock and blow blue for no reason. I wish you the best but.....

It's under powertrain warranty still so I may just check in with nissan... It's weird it did it because I let my car sit pretty much for two months this winter without starting it and that never happened

1sicws6
07-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Hard Start... ? Jesus

Ls1s have a little piston slap sometimes but, knocking and blue smoking is a little overboard.

Hope the best for you man.

phukyoo
07-14-2009, 02:16 AM
if the nissan dealer has an answer for you, post it here, my mustang does the same thing sometimes when I don't drive it for a month or so

faStE-R
07-14-2009, 08:50 PM
06 FTL.... let me know when you want that new engine

SVOSHOP
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I can not explain the knock noise, however.... Could the smoke be from some oil seeping past a spark plug. I would imagine the 3.5 is just like my 3.5 in my Maxima. With an overhead cam motor, the plug wells are deep in the valve cover. If the o-ring seal should leak, it will fill the chamber with oil. Making the plug submerged in oil, and could allow some to leak past.

I have heard of rod bearings spinning and then going back into place. Only to have a noise very very soon, again. However, I can not see where smoke would have anything to do with that.

And if you had an injector stick open, it should be black smoke instead of white.

If you need a hand looking at it, let me know. I would gladly help. Just call me.

Mike

Sean
07-14-2009, 09:06 PM
06 FTL.... let me know when you want that new engine
Jon I'll be up there tomorrow should I just talk directly to you or your service manager?

Mike pm me your phone number

Brrcats
07-15-2009, 08:04 AM
yeah, thats not good, i've let the Z sit for a while before over winter time and it always starts up like a champ

redmike
07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Jon I'll be up there tomorrow should I just talk directly to you or your service manager?

Mike pm me your phone number

What did you need? number sent.

Kisor
07-16-2009, 07:32 AM
I can not explain the knock noise, however.... Could the smoke be from some oil seeping past a spark plug. I would imagine the 3.5 is just like my 3.5 in my Maxima. With an overhead cam motor, the plug wells are deep in the valve cover. If the o-ring seal should leak, it will fill the chamber with oil. Making the plug submerged in oil, and could allow some to leak past.

I have heard of rod bearings spinning and then going back into place. Only to have a noise very very soon, again. However, I can not see where smoke would have anything to do with that.

And if you had an injector stick open, it should be black smoke instead of white.

If you need a hand looking at it, let me know. I would gladly help. Just call me.

Mike

WOW......... yeaaaa..... whatever kind of crack you were smoking when you wrote that, i wouldn't anymore.....

if the sparkplugs could leak oil past them into the cylinder, wouldn't ya think that the thousands of pounds of pressure from combustion would just say.... na, i'm going to stay in the cylinder and not blow the coil pack and cover off the top of the motor.... lets let this oil run freely in here.......... ??

and who the hell told you a bearing can spin and then magically reform the holding tangs and never move again??

Seriously don't try to help anyone fix anything.... i don't know you and i'm not trying to be a total ass but geeezzzuuussss.....

on what may be happening, i'm sure Fastse-r.... John can help you the most with this..... the knocking slapping is probably due to oil drainback from the tensioners and the chains slapping a bit..... the smoke may be valve seals leaking a little oil past them while sitting.... i would think you wouild see this more often but shit happens wierdly ...

Brad

Roca Fella Bryan
07-16-2009, 07:58 AM
WOW......... yeaaaa..... whatever kind of crack you were smoking when you wrote that, i wouldn't anymore.....

if the sparkplugs could leak oil past them into the cylinder, wouldn't ya think that the thousands of pounds of pressure from combustion would just say.... na, i'm going to stay in the cylinder and not blow the coil pack and cover off the top of the motor.... lets let this oil run freely in here.......... ??

and who the hell told you a bearing can spin and then magically reform the holding tangs and never move again??

Seriously don't try to help anyone fix anything.... i don't know you and i'm not trying to be a total ass but geeezzzuuussss.....

on what may be happening, i'm sure Fastse-r.... John can help you the most with this..... the knocking slapping is probably due to oil drainback from the tensioners and the chains slapping a bit..... the smoke may be valve seals leaking a little oil past them while sitting.... i would think you wouild see this more often but shit happens wierdly ...

Brad

Bingo. That's what they say on the Maxima forums where guys routinely have the same issues. Its just called a hard start. I personally hate it.

Kisor
07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been doing this for a while.... haha

honestly there isn't a whole lot you can do about it.... i usually don't recommend additives but shit like STP or Lucas tends to help with drainback issues. Newer engines have high tech oiling systems with smaller passages that don't like thick shit and can cause more "dry start" issues than not using additives.

What weight oil do you run?

I have a Integra with 153K on it and i have experimented with different weight oils trying to get better mileage and less start up slap. I started with the recommended 5w30 and had a little slap and about 28mpg average, I then went to 5w20 trying to break the 30mpg average mark and had much more startup noise and actually dropped to 26-27mpg. All have been full syn btw. We use a lot of 5w40 euro spec at work so i went to that the past 2 changes and the noise is all but gone and i'm now getting 29-31mpg depending on the type of driving.... I thought going thinner would be better for economy but it seems the better choice is a little heavier for me....

Here is your recommended oil guide ;)
Yea I know it's big..... suck it!!!!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2/KisorPerformance/other%20peoples%20shit/seansoil.jpg

looks like 10w40 above 0*F

CipDrast
07-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Recently when I go to start my car, it has been taking longer and longer to start. Tonight I tried to start it up and it wouldnt. Lights and everything work fine. At first it sounded like it was trying to kick over, but now it wont. What can it be?

Roca Fella Bryan
07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Recently when I go to start my car, it has been taking longer and longer to start. Tonight I tried to start it up and it wouldnt. Lights and everything work fine. At first it sounded like it was trying to kick over, but now it wont. What can it be?

Wat. U from australia fo real, eh mate?

240Jeff
07-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Sounds like you should just take it to a mechanic.

Kisor is good. PM him.

Sean
07-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Kisor I see you use mitchell too lol...
Oil I use 5w-30 full synthetic