Owners/ Past Owners [Archive] - Cincy Street Scene

: Owners/ Past Owners

toyocam9805
12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Ok so I have been doing some research on the WRX and was hoping to get some info from the people who have had experiences with this car. i.e. Known issues with them, likes/dislikes. Discuss.

SloRice
12-08-2008, 02:37 PM
What year WRX are you looking at? 2002-2005 are 2.0L and 2006+ are the same 2.5L as the STI with a smaller turbo. 2006+ WRX's can quickly make STI power for not a lot of money.

But....

- WRX 5 speed transmission = BOOM if you drive like a retard or try to put a lot of power to it.
- 2.0L and 2.5L will not make a shit ton of power reliably. Anyone on nasioc including myself can't/couldn't make 500whp+ for sustained periods of time without shitting a bearing.

Older WRX seats are comfortable. STI and newer WRX seats suck ass...no lumbar support.

I don't know what else you want to know, but I had a 03 WRX for a year and a 04 STI for four years.....so I know entirely to much about these stupid cars.

toyocam9805
12-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Ha yea I don't think I would be going up anywhere near 500 for awhile... Probably would just do the basics. But I am looking at an 02 and an 03 non STI though.... I heard something about the tranny's somewhere just wanted to make sure.... Ok, here is another question would you consider having a basically stock one as a DD?

Mike
12-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Or you could just buy an Evo.

1sicws6
12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
It won't be slower than my daily :x

toyocam9805
12-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Or you could just buy an Evo.

Thought about it for a couple weeks but not really happy with Mitsubishi at the moment:mad5:. Yes, I know it's two different types of cars and besides I have always liked the WRX so figure what the hell:icon_shrug:.

It won't be slower than my daily :x

Definitely one of the things I'm going to miss lol.

SloRice
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Ha yea I don't think I would be going up anywhere near 500 for awhile... Probably would just do the basics. But I am looking at an 02 and an 03 non STI though.... I heard something about the tranny's somewhere just wanted to make sure.... Ok, here is another question would you consider having a basically stock one as a DD?

Yea, they will be fine if you do simple upgrades....uppipe, downpipe, catback, reflash...it will make 225whp/225wtq with those mods. I actually wouldn't mind getting a bugeye as a daily driver. I do those mods plus a STI turbo and TMIC....260whp all day long. But the Camry is serving its purpose well and takes 87 octane.

A lot of the Subaru guys mod their cars poorly and then put them back to stock and sell them, so just pay careful attention to "details" when looking at them.....wiring harness, exhaust bolts, turbo heat shields, etc.

Also pay attention to the mileage. 02/03 WRX's are getting up there in miles, so a lot of them will need a new timing belt in the near future. Good condition ones are going for 10-12k right now.

I think a WRX would be better than an Evo as a DD. The Evo's steering is just to "touchy" to be a daily in my opinion.

1sicws6
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Just make sure it isn't silver and it doesn't have famous stickers everywhere.

Then you'll be ok.

TjCase85
12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Brian, I say EVO > WRX.. just my .02

S14Daver
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Yea, they will be fine if you do simple upgrades....uppipe, downpipe, catback, reflash...it will make 225whp/225wtq with those mods. I actually wouldn't mind getting a bugeye as a daily driver.

Im with this guy :lol:

I picked up a rearended 02 WRX a few months ago and had it fixed, been driving it for over a month now and im loving it. Its a fun daily, great in the snow(waiting for some serious snow fall lol). Right now i have a stage 1 flash that gives it a lil more pep and its fun. I have an UP and DP for it and ill most likely go stage 2, but stop there since its my DD.

asianbob
01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
i had an sti swapped gc8. now that's the way to go!

Tugboat
01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Make sure you get the STI tranny mount, and that's about all I know, but honestly, look at what Slorice did, he finally did the BEST mod, to his Sti, and traded it in on an evo. lol

coolnick
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Consider the cost of your WRX, then consider the cost of the "normal" mods that you are considering. That will get you to the price of a 03 Evo. Evos are great dailies and are awesome cars even when left alone. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone say the Evo steering it too touchy to be a daily, but the fag that said it wears a skirt and drives a Camry. He probably pees sitting down too. :lol: