Does anybody have a Greddy Turbo Timer? [Archive] - Cincy Street Scene

: Does anybody have a Greddy Turbo Timer?

Cauvin
11-03-2004, 01:28 AM
If so, is it required to hook the wire up to the speedo and ebrake? More specifically, how do you get it to count down when you take the key out?

Speed Kills
11-03-2004, 03:18 AM
If so, is it required to hook the wire up to the speedo and ebrake? More specifically, how do you get it to count down when you take the key out?

I don't think the speedo wire has to be hooked up (but if your car has a VSS you may as well since it's only splicing one wire). The e-brake does, the timer will only count down if the ebrake is up, if you take off the ebrake off the countdown will stop and teh car will shut off. It's will start counting down when you turn the car off (pending that the correct input is hooked up to a switched +12V source.

Hope that helps

casper
11-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Neither one of the 2 additional wires outside of the main harness (not counting the ground wire) have to be connected. One is for Japanese cars only, and the other has a mini harness that splices out into the parking break wire and speedometer wire, which I am assuming this is the one you are asking about. Neither of them have to be connected. For full functionality you should splice the ECU for the speedometer wire, but it's not necessary for installation. The parking break is a feature for added security, but not at all necessary for the operation of the unit. You don't need it unless you like the feature. If you need help deciding which wire to connect either of these to, let me know.

and yes, I have installed 2. 1 with a harness and 1 hardwired.

JohnnyRed
11-03-2004, 09:44 PM
I have one on my tt 300zx....neither has to be connected like casper said. The ebrake is a good idea, but when my key comes out of the ignition, the steering wheel locks anyways so no one would go too far anyways. One other thing to think about is if you have an aftermarket alarm that "convientley" unlocks the door when the ignition is turned off. This is a problem because when you walk away from your car, and the turbo timer shuts the car off, it unlocks the door. I know there is a way to reverse it or bypass it, but we still havent figured it out yet.

casper
11-04-2004, 02:41 PM
That's weird. On my Mazdaspeed I had to snip a few wires in the alarm brain and keyless entry brain because they looked for a voltage, and if the car was running it wouldn't allow you to arm the alarm. It would honk like it was but it wouldn't come on. I doubt if it will be the same, especially on a mid 80's RX-7.

Josh
11-06-2004, 11:15 PM
That's weird. On my Mazdaspeed I had to snip a few wires in the alarm brain and keyless entry brain because they looked for a voltage, and if the car was running it wouldn't allow you to arm the alarm. It would honk like it was but it wouldn't come on. I doubt if it will be the same, especially on a mid 80's RX-7.
you shouldn't have had to snip any wires. All you have to do was take the alarm module out and flip a few switches.

4thgenaccord
11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
will those greddy turbo timers work on any turbo or non-turbo car, no matter the manufacture? Like a saab or volvo, or something like that?

AllMotorSi
11-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Yea, they work on any car, and there's only 4 wires you need to hook up on the greddy to make it work.