LT1 Spark Plug Wire Routing? - Cincy Street Scene
Forum Garage  

Remember Me?
Go Back   Cincy Street Scene > Automotive > Tech > Domestic Tech

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
BowTieBill

BowTieBill is on a distinguished road
LT1 Spark Plug Wire Routing?
I have an LT1 Camaro and I have MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires. It goes around the Alternator & A/C bracket. The wires are too close to the bracket because at high RPMs it misses. I got done running it at the track and the next day the engine light came on and gave me a random cylinder misfire. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to route the wires, or if I should buy over the valve cover wire set? IDK for sure if the over the valve cover wire set will allow the wires to stay away far enough from the bracket. Any kind of suggestions will help me out. Thanks.

Sad LT1 Guy....
BowTieBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Hot Rod
The Emperor

Hot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Hot Rod
I think it misses because you had MSD wires, lots of people including myself have had bad luck with those. Unless they're crossed being close won't be too much of a problem.

Also what spark plugs? hopefully NGK's or AC Delco's, anything else toss em in the trash.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
gemballa996t
1,000 posts club

gemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura aboutgemballa996t has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to gemballa996t
second on the ngk's, i've had good luck with my msd wires. i had some taylor high temp and burnt through
them.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
BowTieBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
I think it misses because you had MSD wires, lots of people including myself have had bad luck with those. Unless they're crossed being close won't be too much of a problem.

Also what spark plugs? hopefully NGK's or AC Delco's, anything else toss em in the trash.
I have NGK TR55 on it. I have been thinking about going with a taylor wrie set. Also another queston for you, but what do you think I should gap the plugs at? I have had the heads street ported and I got a little bit bigger Cam in the car. Nothing too crazy. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
BowTieBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemballa996t View Post
second on the ngk's, i've had good luck with my msd wires. i had some taylor high temp and burnt through
them.
So you're thinking I just have the wires routed bad? How do you have your wires routed on you LT1? Thanks...
Old 11-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
95BadNaTa
1.4L's of Fury

95BadNaTa is on a distinguished road95BadNaTa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 95BadNaTa
LT1 spark plugs and wires. i remember those days

95BadNaTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowTieBill View Post
I have NGK TR55 on it. I have been thinking about going with a taylor wrie set. Also another queston for you, but what do you think I should gap the plugs at? I have had the heads street ported and I got a little bit bigger Cam in the car. Nothing too crazy. Thanks for your help.
I'd go with .035" to .040" on the plugs. I've had great results with MSD wires on a Gen I motor as well as my brother with his gen I motor cars and his 93LT1.

Before making assumptions, first look at the wires and make sure you haven't burned through a spark plug boot. Second look at the wires and make sure there isn't any wear marks where they are laying across the Alt. bracket. Last start the car when it's dark outside and raise the hood and see if you can see if the wires are leaking.

Last could be an opti or ICM going bad. Have you spaced the ICM off the head yet? A good mod to do with any LT1 vehicle. Gets the electronics off the hot head.

1986 Trans Am - just for cruising and having fun
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Hot Rod
The Emperor

Hot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to beholdHot Rod is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Hot Rod
Like wayne said, the NGK TR55's like a lil tighter gap than the factory recommendation. Just double check to make sure wire's aren't crossed in a tight proximity and you should be golden.
Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
BowTieBill

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
GuitarCrazyo

GuitarCrazyo is on a distinguished road
LT1 Spark Plug Wire Routing
Thanks for this info puckhead, I also confirmed in the UK owners manual that for our cars with EJ20G our spark plugs are: PFR6G like you say.

There is no mention of gap in the manual though, but I will go with whatever gap the current ones have.
GuitarCrazyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:06 AM   #11
1sicws6
JDM bum

1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold1sicws6 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to 1sicws6
Holy Fucking Thread Bump.
1sicws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #12
bestracing
Someone took my Swingline

bestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura aboutbestracing has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sicws6 View Post
Holy Fucking Thread Bump.
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
240Jeff
Riff raff

240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all240Jeff is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to 240Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarCrazyo View Post
Thanks for this info puckhead, I also confirmed in the UK owners manual that for our cars with EJ20G our spark plugs are: PFR6G like you say.

There is no mention of gap in the manual though, but I will go with whatever gap the current ones have.
What the fuck are you talking about?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
Speed Kills
SYR

Speed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to beholdSpeed Kills is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Speed Kills
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarCrazyo View Post

"The fuck you talkin' about?"

EJ20?? Subaru talk is --------> that way doadus.

"...I'm just not in the habit of seein' the Chevy work against a two-bit piece of junk..."

'99 Sportychop, '86 Jetta GLTD, '63 Comet, '55 Chivvy.
Speed Kills is offline   Reply With Quote